Friday, September 26, 2008

The Debates

Barack Obama: Community activist and recent Senator.

John McCain: Miltary veteran, long time Senator.

It is a difficult time to be a semi-informed Republican existing within the leftist media of today. Being inundated with patently liberal spin, or worse, completely false information, makes it hard to determine what lies or bias to accept, and tonight's debates were no exception. Barack Obama came out a lot stronger then I personally expected, and McCain didn't quite have the fire that I hoped so badly to see. I would say a slight edge went to McCain, but apparently CNN disagreed with me. Personally, I think they are ignoring that later half of that debate, which is what most people remember.

There were several key points that McCain brought up that Obama simply didn't have an answer to. One was about Obama's refusal to admit that he was wrong about the surge. I don't think that anyone disagree's that the troop surge in Iraq has worked, and worked stunningly. It was a brilliant move, and I was glad that McCain brought up his role as an early supporter of the troop surge. Obama came out just as strongly against it, saying that it would fail, and that we would fail in Iraq. I'm glad that the soldier in the field didn't take that to heart. Or rather, I hope that he did, and realizes that when he votes in the upcoming election.

Another thing that so confused me was Obama's insistence that McCain was right, but *insert Obama's view on the subject*. It was a patently political response, and one that was obvious to even the most naive observer. To make matters worse, he had to say it at least 20 times. Gone were the soaring rhetoric that characterized his campaign. I would imagine it was the knowledge that McCain and his "Straight-Talk-Express" would steamroll right through it that kept Obama from expressing his amazingly leftist ideals.

In the end, I strongly believe in the intelligence of the American people. Sadly, like the little boy who cried wolf, if the press insists on blatently spinning what happens in the political proces, people will start to see through the bias, and I believe that is what has happened. God bless America, and God bless our next President. I pray daily that God will give guidance to whomever becomes our next president, for the next 5 years will be a difficult time for us. We will persevere, and we will triumph, because our system and our people are strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment